Board Logo
« faulty speaker cable, any damage done? »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 22nd, 2018, 8:11pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1  Notify Send Topic Print
 thread  Author  Topic: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?  (Read 869 times)
callumwegener
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 22
xx faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Thread started on: Jan 5th, 2017, 03:55am »

today at band practice, I was jamming and noticed my sound drop out a few times over 30-45 mins of playing. Thinking it was a guitar cable I switched it out, but after it happened again I jiggled the speaker cable and noticed it was that!

This is like my worst nightmare come true! It a good quality george l speaker cable i bought a few years ago. Probably used once a fortnight since then.

I always make sure my cable is firmly plugged in before switching on and it was this time. After switching out the speaker cable the amp worked fine for the rest of the rehearsal.


Im wondering if any damage may have been done to my amp? There was no smoke or anything blowing up.

Do the fuses in amp protect from any damage in a situation like this?
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2017, 04:36am by callumwegener » User IP Logged

callumwegener
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 22
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2017, 03:55am »

amp an SLO-100
User IP Logged

Giga
Decatone
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 159
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2017, 10:36am »

99% chance there's nothing going on. As for the other 1%: time will tell.

And no, the fuses won't protect you from this kind of mishap. (unless it causes some really serious problem and then you'll have other things to worry about)

Giga
User IP Logged

callumwegener
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 22
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2017, 11:38am »

ahhh crap this has been such a bad day, I've always fussed over my SLO since I bought it new. But I guess this is life with amps, cables fail from time to time and I'll have to get over it.
User IP Logged

lynchfan6
Super Lead Overdrive
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 453
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2017, 5:33pm »

You'll be fine. Many years ago, I plugged my SLO into the wrong input jack on my cab and had no sound. Turned the amp off, back on again, nothing. Figured out what I had done and panicked, but the SLO fired right up no problem. Fast forward about 7 years, and just last month I was playing a gig and my sound cut out for a few seconds. Thought it was a power cable on my pedalboard cutting out a pedal, but no. Happened again a few times, and I replaced the speaker cable. Did it again, and then worked fine the rest of the gig. Found out a few days later that the input jack on the cab.......the wire that internally goes to the first speaker was hanging on by a thread, and literally fell off in my hand when I took the back off the cab. Could have been catastrophic. So, I think you'll be fine. The SLO and those trannies apparently let us get away with a few of these.
User IP Logged

callumwegener
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 22
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2017, 7:30pm »

shit yeah I always worried about that too, a faulty speaker cab jack. Good to know that I'm not the only one its happened too.

It really is one of those things we have to learn to diagnose quickly and live with. Unless people are replacing their speaker cables regularly in the hopes of avoiding this. But then again a new cable can also fail,

I've spoken to my tech who is an authorised mesa boogie repairer, he has some high quality German speaker cable and can make me up one of I want.

What speaker cables do you guys use yourself?

This was recommended to my by my Soldano rep, but they are on the pricier side:

http://www.analysis-plus.com/product/pro-audio/pro-speaker-cable/clear-oval-speaker-cables/

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2017, 7:32pm by callumwegener » User IP Logged

Billielvis
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 13
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 9th, 2017, 04:46am »

Hi All - I really recommend Pete Cornish cables -

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/cable1.html

happy playing all !

Ed
User IP Logged

callumwegener
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 22
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2017, 08:45am »

thanks I have emailed Pete and will place an order through him.

This is the cable that gave me the issues, might just post it here as a warning to others, mine had silver/nickel plugs unlike this one :

User Image
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2017, 8:33pm by callumwegener » User IP Logged

callumwegener
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 22
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10th, 2017, 03:49am »

took the bastard george l speaker cable apart today, one of the pin/prod things had disintegrated on one end which caused the cable to short out.

have placed an order for a Pete Cornish cable, never again will I gamble with speaker cables.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2017, 04:29am by callumwegener » User IP Logged

Billielvis
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 13
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11th, 2017, 07:21am »

distinguished choice of cable smiley
User IP Logged

callumwegener
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 22
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12th, 2017, 06:34am »

thanks for your help guys, I just wished I'd been a bit more knowledgeable about cables before buying into the George L hype. I now see what a piece of junk it was.

The Pete Cornish cable was on $20 extra compared to the George L, and is much better quality.
User IP Logged

JLB
Super Lead Overdrive
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 868
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #11 on: Mar 5th, 2017, 6:53pm »

All good no damage. Rock on.

LB
BCM
User IP Logged

James L. Burke III
Blues City Music owner
SLO-100 x 3 (3 option, 5 option, BCM one off)
Hot Rod 25 (#002)
44 BCM Combos (#001 & #002)
Surf Box (#98) Last USA model
Soldano GTO (#49) Last model
Diamond Amplification 327 SD (#001)
callumwegener
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 22
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #12 on: Mar 7th, 2017, 6:45pm »

Thanks for all your help Lynn! I really appreciate the fact that even though I didn't buy from you as I live in Australia, you always answer all my questions. A true gentleman smiley
User IP Logged

callumwegener
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 22
xx Re: faulty speaker cable, any damage done?
« Reply #13 on: May 16th, 2017, 03:01am »

Here's the official verdict from Mike, I'm sure he wont mind me posting this on here, as it might help other owners minds be put at ease if this happens to them:

"Though it's very bad for a tube amp to operate with no speaker load, it
sounds like your amp survived just fine. The SLO-100 is a very rugged amp
and I designed it to be able to occasionally endure less than ideal
operating conditions. Because your amp never blew the 1 amp fuse and is
still working fine after the speaker cable incidents, you have nothing to
worry about. Output transformer failures are almost always catastrophic -
that is to say that if you did do any damage to the output transformer,
you'd certainly know it. The amp would have little or no output volume, and
if it did make any sound at all, it would be very fuzzy and distorted (not
in a good way)."

grin
User IP Logged

Pages: 1  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls