Board Logo
« modern metal guitar tones »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 17th, 2018, 4:21pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: modern metal guitar tones  (Read 6914 times)
enormiconmetal
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 18
xx modern metal guitar tones
« Thread started on: Sep 10th, 2008, 12:24pm »

so why does the guitar tone for a lot of these newer metal bands sound so...I don't know...nice? It's distorted 'n' all but it just lacks that menacing edge. Is it the over-produced sound of the their records in general? Sterile pickups? Over-processed guitar sound?
User IP Logged

templarofshred
Hot Rod
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 12
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 5:22pm »

I completely agree with you on that one.

It seems like its all tune down 2 steps and then EMG into a Messa Rectumfire grin

There was more diversity in past it just seems that a lot of stuff is now a standard formula from the way things are written to the guitar setups and then even the recording process.

Bands used to have to try harder to get high gain sounds and there were many ways to do that via modding or pedals etc so naturaly there was more variance in tones.
User IP Logged

LIMETORD
Lucky 13
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 82
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28th, 2009, 02:06am »

I am new to this forum and this is an old thread. I feel,however,that I can offer a little insight into this rather interesting subject-

With metal music,no one is using "real" amps anymore. What producers do is track the actual amp along with a direct signal so there are essentially two tracks for every guitar part. One track is the miked cab and the other is the direct signal.

When the guitarist goes home after a long day of of tracking power chords,the producer inserts a Pro Tools plug-in on all of the direct tracks to get the THE ACTUAL GUITAR SOUND THAT ENDS UP BEING ON THE ALBUM.

Many times,guitarists hear a mixed and mastered record that they played on and think that the final tone it is actually the sound of their beloved Kranker 1000 guitar amp that they had in the studio. Sadly- this is not the case.

The guitar tone on 90% of modern metal albums comes from software plug-ins.

Nevertheless- many guitarists will still continue to say how amazing their Frengel Buggerschnall Mark VII amps are.





User IP Logged

ryanmichael95
Super Lead Overdrive
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar



YIM YIM AIM
PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 724
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28th, 2009, 09:45am »

Most rock albums today, if you can call them that, are pure crap, IMHO. It seems to me, every other decade great bands come along that have staying power, with the in-between decades becoming lost. There's always a few that are the exceptions, i.e. Van Halen and such, but most of the eighties sucked for rock music. Keep in mind this is just my opinion and I realize not everyone's going to agree. The seventies and nineties were great, and this decade again, for the most part, sucks. Again, there are the exceptions like always. I think 2010 and beyond will yield yet another great group of bands. I also think Soldano amps kick the living hell out of just about everything else amps, so this is why I say Mike needs to get his brand back out there with NAMM and all. Even though the SLO was unleashed in '87, and it was popular among bands such as *cough* poison and *cough* bon jovi, it really was either before or after it's time it seems. Imagine what this coming decade of bands could do with the SLO. If they figure it all out, man.......I'm just saying that I hope Mike pushes hard against all the mainstream mass produced crap that's out there, and hopefully his amps will find their ways back onto some really big albums. Then the "modern metal guitar tones" won't suck like they do now. Sorry for ranting! undecided
User IP Logged

User Image
LIMETORD
Lucky 13
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 82
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29th, 2009, 10:28pm »

I love the sound of 1980s bands like Dokken,Loudness and Accept. The guitar tones are real and not completely saturated with buzzy super high-gain distortion.

Modern metal amps have this buzzy harsh character that is nearly impossible to remove. Music styles change,however,and and manufacturers follow trends. Soldano has never changed which is one reason why I respect them so much. The SLO sounds like an amp that was "voiced" in 1987 for better or for worse. I love the SLO tone...alot of newer players consider that sound dated.

Not every metal band goes for the buzzy d-standard guitar tone these days. I heard this "classic metal" band called White Wizzard not long ago and they had a cool organic guitar sound...not sure what amps they used. They are going for that retro vibe with their sound.

Most modern metal bands go for the digital "POD tone" whether it comes from a POD unit or an amp that sounds like a POD unit or a software plug-in.

So- there are exceptions out there with bands that still play old-school metal. I still use combinations of amps/preamps + power amps and miked guitar cabinets in the studio. It can be a hassle,but it is worth it in the end...the tone is so much better.

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2009, 10:30pm by LIMETORD » User IP Logged

155
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 53
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2010, 11:48am »

over produced pussy metal, scooped bs...alot of it that is
User IP Logged

hellboy
Guest
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18th, 2010, 9:13pm »

It seems were about due for another breakthrough band. A new musical style.

Tough times in the past have created some of the best music and bands of all time. The way the economy is, natural disasters every 4 months, etc. etc.

It's gotta be coming.

Probably not the thread to post this,( modern metal guitar tones ) but besides Joe Bonomassa and Guthry Govan, I havent heard an exciting guitar tone on cd for some time.

It's either already been beaten to death, or sounds totally digital and overproduced. The same thing that hapened in the 80's.

I'm just not the biggest fan of playing as many notes as fast as you can for three minutes. The great ones can do more with one note. It's the spaces and the dynamics that make great music.
User IP Logged

fuzzyguitars
Lucky 13
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 89
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18th, 2010, 11:52am »

funny that you guys think that


i think that the slo can get some pretty wicked modern metal tones!
User IP Logged

slowner
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 35
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19th, 2010, 1:56pm »

on Sep 29th, 2009, 10:28pm, LIMETORD wrote:
Not every metal band goes for the buzzy d-standard guitar tone these days. I heard this "classic metal" band called White Wizzard not long ago and they had a cool organic guitar sound...not sure what amps they used. They are going for that retro vibe with their sound.



That's very ironic. White Wizzard was using an SLO, which I now own. I answered a CraigsList ad, went over to their space and picked up an SLO and 4x12.
User IP Logged

LIMETORD
Lucky 13
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 82
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19th, 2010, 10:45pm »

Ha! That is definitely a weird coincidence. The White Wizzard stuff that I heard had some great guitar tones...not surprised they used a Soldano. The SLO in these live videos must be your amp then. smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCoVAsMzFg&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlrRMeIBH20&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTyiadCb1OM

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2010, 11:21pm by LIMETORD » User IP Logged

tekbow
Super Lead Overdrive
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

In the beginning there was nothing, then it exploded


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 316
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26th, 2010, 07:30am »

yeah but look at the pattern.. lol ive been thinking about this for a few days, talking with my girlfriend about it. the industry goes thru a cycle, seems to me anyway. the 50's, great breakout era for rock and roll then towards the end A&R men ruled into the mid 60's. a lot of covers of the same songs were released. late 60's into the 70's we get the brit explosion and the great american response to it, that gave us the stones, hendrix, the who, creedence clearwater, the doors and many others.

then disco came around with many innovative players doing new things noone had heard before, it became staid and commercial formulaic, the backlash was punk, the pistols etc in the uk and bands like husker du in the states.

it burned bright and short, then we got the west coast metal scene in the states, and the electronic thing in the u.k. it started out raw and edgy but by the end became silly and commercial

the backlash this time was grunge in america and acid house/ dance in britain. now we can go into more detail because this was something i saw happen.. i hit uni in 98, when dance music was massive but not commercial yet, you could got 20 differen clubs on any given night and here 20 diferent styles of dance music. into the 2000's and the small clubs are disappearing replaced with superclubs all playing the same chart crap.

so another stagnation..

for some reason then everything just became a demographic. when i was a kid i bought my combats in the army surplus store, now "metal kids" go to the same designer shops as everyone else to make their parents buy them 100 quid "distressed" metal wear. they're no different than the WAGS, the emo's, the clubbers.. and the music is he same.

right now metal, like a lot of other music seems to be a demographic.. its targetted at an age group. the music sounds the same, there's no rebellion anymore, there's no passion. bands dont make money, producers and labels do. Buy this sig axe, buy that sig amp, i have to have X guitar with Y pickups and Z amp to get band XYZ's tone..

the only band i think have really and truely kept there values, and have just gotten harder the older they get is slayer..

there will be a backlash soon, i wonder what we'll hear then grin
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2010, 07:34am by tekbow » User IP Logged

hellboy
Guest
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #11 on: Mar 6th, 2010, 7:20pm »

on Feb 26th, 2010, 07:30am, tekbow wrote:
yeah but look at the pattern.. lol ive been thinking about this for a few days, talking with my girlfriend about it. the industry goes thru a cycle, seems to me anyway. the 50's, great breakout era for rock and roll then towards the end A&R men ruled into the mid 60's. a lot of covers of the same songs were released. late 60's into the 70's we get the brit explosion and the great american response to it, that gave us the stones, hendrix, the who, creedence clearwater, the doors and many others.

then disco came around with many innovative players doing new things noone had heard before, it became staid and commercial formulaic, the backlash was punk, the pistols etc in the uk and bands like husker du in the states.

it burned bright and short, then we got the west coast metal scene in the states, and the electronic thing in the u.k. it started out raw and edgy but by the end became silly and commercial

the backlash this time was grunge in america and acid house/ dance in britain. now we can go into more detail because this was something i saw happen.. i hit uni in 98, when dance music was massive but not commercial yet, you could got 20 differen clubs on any given night and here 20 diferent styles of dance music. into the 2000's and the small clubs are disappearing replaced with superclubs all playing the same chart crap.

so another stagnation..

for some reason then everything just became a demographic. when i was a kid i bought my combats in the army surplus store, now "metal kids" go to the same designer shops as everyone else to make their parents buy them 100 quid "distressed" metal wear. they're no different than the WAGS, the emo's, the clubbers.. and the music is he same.

right now metal, like a lot of other music seems to be a demographic.. its targetted at an age group. the music sounds the same, there's no rebellion anymore, there's no passion. bands dont make money, producers and labels do. Buy this sig axe, buy that sig amp, i have to have X guitar with Y pickups and Z amp to get band XYZ's tone..

the only band i think have really and truely kept there values, and have just gotten harder the older they get is slayer..

there will be a backlash soon, i wonder what we'll hear then grin


All very true. If you look even closer to the dates of the "backlash" you will see significant history/turmoil/wars/inventions.

It's coming. The best music is the underground stuff. The stuff you never really hear, until somebody makes it big. Then everybody jumps in, the record studios shape it until everybody sounds the same. Then it is boring, commercial. That seems to be the cycle.

But the " modern medal guitar tones " I hear all sound very similar, and therefore boring. Megadeath has stuck to thier roots, they still sound good. As does Slayer. But if you remember the late 70's early-mid 80's after Eddie, everyone copped his tone, his style, and ultimately it all got cheesy. It became a speed race. That is what it has become again to me. No style. All commercial B.S. It sounds funny to me all the anger. One band trying to sound more pissed off than the next.

Remember when Kurt Cobain and plaid shirts and ripped jeans was the latest music revolution. It sounded rebelious. But again the same cycle.

Just glad I never wore platform boots, jeans with 1000 zippers, black nail polish, eyeshadow and thought I was cool.
User IP Logged

guccieng
Super Lead Overdrive
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 291
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #12 on: Mar 6th, 2010, 9:18pm »

i think we should face the fact that the only thing new about music is the audience.
User IP Logged

'09 SLO 100 w/Cocobolo headshell
'79 Marshall JMP 2204 w/hot mod
'12 Hot Rod 25+ #004 in hot white bronco
TL-806 (EVM12L) Thiele cabs x4
TL-606 (EVM15L) Thiele cabs x2 (still under construction)
Giga
Decatone
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 159
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #13 on: Mar 7th, 2010, 06:39am »

on Feb 19th, 2010, 10:45pm, LIMETORD wrote:
Ha! That is definitely a weird coincidence. The White Wizzard stuff that I heard had some great guitar tones...not surprised they used a Soldano. The SLO in these live videos must be your amp then. smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCoVAsMzFg&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlrRMeIBH20&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTyiadCb1OM



Ha, that must be so cool to see your own amp on youtube smiley

Giga
User IP Logged

ryanmichael95
Super Lead Overdrive
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar



YIM YIM AIM
PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 724
xx Re: modern metal guitar tones
« Reply #14 on: Mar 7th, 2010, 07:23am »

Some really good posts from tekbow and hellboy....man this thread is very cool.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2010, 07:23am by ryanmichael95 » User IP Logged

User Image
Pages: 1 2 3  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls