Board Logo
« Hey ! »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 24th, 2018, 05:43am



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: Hey !  (Read 5454 times)
alanfc
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 26
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #15 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 10:12pm »



thanks guys

I am pumped about the Note Definition comments ,

(great Avenger clips by the way ! Great playing)


I do not care about clean sounds

One Soldano channel is all I need. And my price range is for a used HR-50 up to a new HR-50 or maybe an Avenger. New or used SLO's are really out for me, unless I stumble upon some insane deal.

I do want make sure if I buy an HR-50 on EBAY that I'm getting the right model years with that XL mod already stock.

yes I mentioned a Delay and some kind of boost pedal for occasional solos, although in a 3- piece it won't be too hard to make out any solo parts I may bless the audience with.(?!)

I could check this, but does the HR-50 have an effects loop?

thanks


User IP Logged

alanfc
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 26
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #16 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 10:22pm »

on Feb 8th, 2004, 10:04pm, proudmore wrote:
Also, what kind of tones are you looking for? Can you give a few examples of songs with tone similar to what you're looking for?



hey- there must be some sort of delay with our connections here, keep missing stuff

anyway, I can't put my finger on any good examples-

I'm hearing in my head, and trying to reproduce a combination of : Angus Young, Randy Rhoads (Diary of a Madman sounds), older Meshuggah, and Dimebag. It sounds impossible but its playing in my head right now....

anyways, I can put the link to the two tunes I have up now and it may give you an idea. Warning: I'm not a singer by choice but by necessity. The guitars are with an SM-57 thru a VTB-1 and human doubles-triples-quadruples panned in a variety of ways with a few special FX in certain spots. Otherwise dry. With a solid state Marshall. I'm almost getting what I want recording-wise, but if you can imagine a Soldano sound in place of my current sound you can see why I want more note definition. And especially live, I will not stand a chance with what I have. Its just not an option, even in mic'ed venues.

here's my page if you dare;

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2962&alid=-1

I'll be using these and another 4-5 tunes to attract bassists and drummers to form a recreational weekend band with me. These songs may be changed and traded out for others in the coming months. The 1st one "Rolling " is a little too classic rock to me now, and the 2nd one "Battle" is a litte corny and about 5 bpm too fast. But its a start. These were older songs that I re-recorded on computer as a bit of practice. My new fresh ones I' m working on now are a bit heavier and a little more twisted.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2004, 10:35pm by alanfc » User IP Logged

TU BE
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 55
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #17 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 10:25pm »

on Feb 8th, 2004, 10:12pm, alanfc wrote:
thanks guys

I am pumped about the Note Definition comments ,

(great Avenger clips by the way ! Great playing)


I do not care about clean sounds

One Soldano channel is all I need. And my price range is for a used HR-50 up to a new HR-50 or maybe an Avenger. New or used SLO's are really out for me, unless I stumble upon some insane deal.

I do want make sure if I buy an HR-50 on EBAY that I'm getting the right model years with that XL mod already stock.

yes I mentioned a Delay and some kind of boost pedal for occasional solos, although in a 3- piece it won't be too hard to make out any solo parts I may bless the audience with.(?!)

I could check this, but does the HR-50 have an effects loop?

thanks




Yes, the HR does have a loop. I think that if you only need one channle and you play rock or metal then either the HR or Avenger would be an excellent choice. Of course, the HR's are ALOT easier to find used than the Avengers.
User IP Logged

"MMMmmmmmm.............Beer!!!" - Homer Simpson
Leonardo
Administrator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 389
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #18 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 10:26pm »

Yes, the HR50 does have an effects loop. It also have a slave out.

I love the low gain input on the Hot Rod. The low gain crunchy tones are simply great! I also works great with pedals and boost. I wish I had the HR50+, because the low gain input on this thing really rocks, imo. I think you should look for the HR50+, even if you don't care much for clean. It will give you more options for dirty tones too. Do you plan buying from Ebay? I'd wait until a HR50+ pops up on the $1000 price range. That's right in between the price of an used and new HR50.
BTW, I think the HR50 goes for $1200 new and the HR50+ for $1800.
User IP Logged

Leonardo Rodrigues
RMS
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 44
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #19 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 10:35pm »

I'd really like to hear the HR50 vs. the Avenger. You really need to snag an SM57. They've got to be out there used. I have 3-4 of them that I bought used. You might also watch the GC ads. They drop the price to $79 for a new one fairly regularly. That's dirt cheap for a good microphone...and peanuts compared to the amps we're talking about.

I thought the HR50 was a bit more Marshallesque than the HR50+, which is based more on the SLO lead. The horrible thing is I've played both, but never at the same time, in different rooms, through different cabs, etc. (I just mentioned something similar on a thread on the HC amp forum.)
User IP Logged

alanfc
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 26
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #20 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 10:36pm »


proudmore-

I'm late again

see my comments and my link above


thanks for the notes on the HR's everyone
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2004, 10:38pm by alanfc » User IP Logged

Leonardo
Administrator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 389
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #21 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 11:53pm »

on Feb 8th, 2004, 10:35pm, RMS wrote:
I'd really like to hear the HR50 vs. the Avenger. You really need to snag an SM57. They've got to be out there used. I have 3-4 of them that I bought used. You might also watch the GC ads. They drop the price to $79 for a new one fairly regularly. That's dirt cheap for a good microphone...and peanuts compared to the amps we're talking about.

I thought the HR50 was a bit more Marshallesque than the HR50+, which is based more on the SLO lead. The horrible thing is I've played both, but never at the same time, in different rooms, through different cabs, etc. (I just mentioned something similar on a thread on the HC amp forum.)

I don't live in US, so no GC to me. A used 57 cost around $85 here. undecided
Why don't you sell me one of yours and grab that new Sennheiser E609? grin
I've heard good thing about the Audio Technica ATM29HE. They're selling for $60 on MusiciansFriend. I never seen those for sale here, though.
There's an Ebay type of site where a SM57 may pop up from time to time. There's one used store that gets them from time to time... they don't have any at the time.

As far as I know, there's no difference between the HR50 and HR50+. Same amp, they just made both inputs footswitchable and added two knobs (gain and volume for each 'channel').
User IP Logged

Leonardo Rodrigues
TU BE
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 55
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #22 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 12:01am »

on Feb 8th, 2004, 10:26pm, proudmore wrote:
Yes, the HR50 does have an effects loop. It also have a slave out.

I love the low gain input on the Hot Rod. The low gain crunchy tones are simply great! I also works great with pedals and boost. I wish I had the HR50+, because the low gain input on this thing really rocks, imo. I think you should look for the HR50+, even if you don't care much for clean. It will give you more options for dirty tones too. Do you plan buying from Ebay? I'd wait until a HR50+ pops up on the $1000 price range. That's right in between the price of an used and new HR50.
BTW, I think the HR50 goes for $1200 new and the HR50+ for $1800.


I totally agree on the low input statement. I have been using the low input on the Avenger the last two or three times I've played. Earlier today I was using my Marshall BB2 in boost mode for a clean boost through it and I was in crunchy tone heaven.
User IP Logged

"MMMmmmmmm.............Beer!!!" - Homer Simpson
TU BE
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 55
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #23 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 12:03am »

on Feb 8th, 2004, 10:35pm, RMS wrote:
I'd really like to hear the HR50 vs. the Avenger. You really need to snag an SM57. They've got to be out there used. I have 3-4 of them that I bought used. You might also watch the GC ads. They drop the price to $79 for a new one fairly regularly. That's dirt cheap for a good microphone...and peanuts compared to the amps we're talking about.

I thought the HR50 was a bit more Marshallesque than the HR50+, which is based more on the SLO lead. The horrible thing is I've played both, but never at the same time, in different rooms, through different cabs, etc. (I just mentioned something similar on a thread on the HC amp forum.)


I would as well. I told Big Hair that we should agree on some settings and each make a clip. I don't have a 57 mic though. I use a Shure PG48. But we should be able to do an "in general" comparison nevertheless.
User IP Logged

"MMMmmmmmm.............Beer!!!" - Homer Simpson
Leonardo
Administrator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 389
thumbup Re: Hey !
« Reply #24 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 12:06am »

At least both of you can record with GreenBacks. I'd like to hear that.
User IP Logged

Leonardo Rodrigues
Leonardo
Administrator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 389
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #25 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 01:01am »

on Feb 8th, 2004, 10:22pm, alanfc wrote:
anyway, I can't put my finger on any good examples-

I'm hearing in my head, and trying to reproduce a combination of : Angus Young, Randy Rhoads (Diary of a Madman sounds), older Meshuggah, and Dimebag. It sounds impossible but its playing in my head right now....

I'm not familiar with later two, but I think the HR50 will cover the AC/DC and Randy Rhoads stuff.

Quote:
anyways, I can put the link to the two tunes I have up now and it may give you an idea.
The 1st one "Rolling " is a little too classic rock to me now, and the 2nd one "Battle" is a litte corny and about 5 bpm too fast. But its a start. These were older songs that I re-recorded on computer as a bit of practice. My new fresh ones I' m working on now are a bit heavier and a little more twisted.

I'll be able to listen the songs a little better later today. It's 5:00 am here (yeah, I should be sleeping... rolleyes)!

Okay... I'm off to bed.
User IP Logged

Leonardo Rodrigues
RMS
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 44
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #26 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 02:35am »

My mistake on not thinking about you being outside the US. It's a pretty common assumption by people here, but I generally pride myself on not doing that...

Sorry, I'm not letting any SM-57s go. They're the ultimate gig tool: use them as a hammer before the gig, mic the amp during the gig, throw them at obnoxious people during the gig, and recover them afterwords to use again. They really are worth it. I'll have to record some SLO when I get the rest of my recording gear back to my house.
User IP Logged

Big Hair
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 42
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #27 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 04:42am »

maybe we should do a clip the TU BE? What recording software do you use??
User IP Logged

alanfc
Avenger
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 26
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #28 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 11:05am »

on Feb 9th, 2004, 01:01am, proudmore wrote:
I'm not familiar with later two, but I think the HR50 will cover the AC/DC and Randy Rhoads stuff.




hey sorry, Meshuggah is a Swedish metal band with really heavy complicated stuff and Dimebag is Dimebag Darrell from Pantera
User IP Logged

Leonardo
Administrator
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 389
xx Re: Hey !
« Reply #29 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 12:14pm »

I checked your songs again and the tone is not bad... for a SS Marshall. wink
I think the Soldano would be a huge improvement, though. Not only for clarity, it will probably have more useable gain and falls better on the mix, IMO.
Try to find a Soldano dealer and try the HR50, I think you will be pleased.
User IP Logged

Leonardo Rodrigues
Pages: 1 2 3  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls